One of the leading ways to drive more shoppers to your online store is by using Google Ads – formerly known as Google AdWords. These ads can help you start generating more traffic no matter where you are in your SEO optimization process. And the best part is – they work wonders for both new and established stores that want to push new products, deals, and promotions in a timely fashion. If your Google Ads aren’t performing as well as you expected, you’re in the right place. In this blog post, I’ll walk you through 11 traffic-driving Google Ads tips and hacks that will help you reach your target audience and drive more sales.
Adjust your keyword matchingWhen setting up your Google Ads campaigns you’ll notice that the default keyword match is set to broad match which lets you target the wide audience. But there are other types of keyword matches that you can use to reach more specific audience. Here’s a quick breakdown of each:
- Broad match: This is where Google matches searches to your keywords in a broad way and includes misspellings, typos, synonyms and related keywords.
- Exact match: This is where Google only matches your ads if the searcher is using the exact keyword to search, without much wiggle room.
- Negative keywords: These are keywords that ensure you are excluded from irrelevant searches.
- Phrase match: This type of keyword matching will ensure that Google only matches your keyword phrase to searchers who are using the exact phrase, without any variations.
- Broad match modifier: This match type is similar to broad match except it allows you to pinpoint exact phrases or keywords you want to be matched to.
Set up conversion keyword trackingRunning successful Google Ad campaigns requires you to understand which keywords convert best. So test, monitor and optimize your campaigns closely. To do that, use Conversion Tracking. It’s a free Google Ads tool that tracks precisely which keywords are bringing in converting traffic. This tool also shows what happens after a customer clicks on your ad. In case you’re new to Google Ads, watch this step-by-step video guide from Google to learn how you can track the performance of your Google Ads campaigns.
Tighten up geo-targeting optionsJust because you can reach potential shoppers in 250 countries, doesn’t mean you have to. Segmenting your target market into locations and creating different campaigns catered to those audiences will keep your budget safe while bringing in more targeted traffic. Ideally, you want to target different areas (country, state, city, area) in the different ad groups of the campaign. This will help you identify the locations that bring you the most conversions, allowing to adjust bids so that you’re spending your ad dollars on ad groups that are bringing you more sales.
Tweak your language targetingLanguage targeting lets you reach customers who speak one or multiple languages. This targeting option is especially helpful for those businesses that want to increase global presence. If you want to communicate with your potential customers more effectively, seriously consider translating your ads to other languages. Ask your multilingual friends for help, or hire freelance translators to ensure your copy is on-point.
Add Google Shopping to your traffic strategyGoogle Shopping campaigns are killing it. According to a Merkle report, Shopping campaigns account for as many as 60% of Google ad clicks. What does this mean for ecommerce drop shippers like you? Well, if you’re not running Google Shopping campaigns, you’re leaving money on the table. If you haven’t used Google Shopping before, you will need to create your Google Merchant Center account (this is where your product data is inputted and product feed is generated from). You’ll be asked to:
- input your tax and shipping information
- verify that you are the owner of your online store site
- link your Merchant account to your Google Ads account
- products that have higher profit margins
- products that are already your top sellers
- entry products that shoppers are likely to buy more often or in larger quantities